Summer dining isn’t just about creating delicious savoury dishes but it is also a time for enjoying light and fruity puddings, such as this delicious Key Lime Pie.
Preparation time: 25 minutes plus chilling time
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Equipment: Pyrex White Impression Ceramic Pie Dish 26cm
225g digestive biscuits
100g unsalted butter
75g plain chocolate
5 large egg yolks
5 tsp grated lime rind
200ml fresh lime juice (approximately 7-8 limes)
11/2 397g cans condensed milk
Lime slices for decoration
10g Plain chocolate, grated or made into curls
1. Preheat the oven to Gas 4, 180 C
2. Crush the biscuits finely in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or in a processor.
3. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, stir into the biscuits and combine well. Press into the base and up the sides of the Pyrex pie dish, press down well. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, remove from the oven to cool a little but leave the oven on.
4. Whisk the egg yolks with the lime rind with an electric hand whisk until thick and creamy (takes about 4 or 5 minutes). Reduce the speed and add the condensed milk in a slow, steady stream, mixing all the time until thick.
5. On a slow speed, add the lime juice and mix until just combined. Pour into the biscuit base and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until just set. Cool and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight. Decorate with lime and chocolate before serving.