The perfect pencil for chilli lovers, these plantable pencils from Sprout World are certainly hot stuff!
Sprout pencils grow into not just chilli plants – you can also grow your own herb garden or plant vegetables, flowers and even trees! When the pencils are too short to write with, they can be planted and will grow into beautiful plants. The Sprout pencil is the first sustainable pencil in the world that can be planted after use.
The Sprout pencils are used to write and draw as with a normal pencil but once they are too short they have new lease of life and will grow into a beautiful chilli plant.
To plant a Sprout Chilli Pencil, follow these tips for the best result
* Place the flower pots in a warm area (The optimal temperature is 28-30C)
* Ensure the soil is kept moist
* Make a plastic bag ‘hood’ with holes and cover the pot. These creates a small cloche
* Most seeds will germinate within 10-14 days
* When the seeds have germinated and the first set of leaves have appeared, carefully transplant to a bigger pot. Fruits should appear 2-3 months after germination
* Continue to keep the soil moist (but not too wet as this may rot the seeds0
The Sprout Knockout Chilli edition will retail at £4.90 for a pack of 3 pencils at www.sproutworld.com and other retailers including Not On The High Street .
The Sprout Pencil is available in flower, vegetable and herb varieties and also comes in different colours, with each colour having its own plant variety:
* Flowers – Marigold, Forget-me-Not, Sweet Pea, Calendula, Lavender and Sunflower
* Vegetable/Fruit – Tomatoes, Green Pepper and Strawberries
* Herbs & Spices – Basil, Coriander, Mint, Sage and Thyme