Pregnancy comes with many restrictions when it comes to your diet and general day to day normalities, but there is also quite a few no goes when it comes to your beauty regime… I had to give my retinols away for example because excess vitamin A can be very dangerous when you’re preggers.
I’m pregnant for the first time so I am definitely on the more cautious side of everything and I have kept my beauty regime as simple as it gets for me.
I have listed some of my favourite cosmetic items and services that have seen me through until now. These products were the easiest to go to, even when I could barely get myself up in the morning.
My skin was usually blemish free but hormones took over and I have had spotty and textured skin, so I just kept things super basic because strong treatments are to be avoided and realistically it’s from all the changes happening so I know it’s temporary.
***All of these products/services were recommended to me as pregnancy safe, however, everyone is different, so best to research and ask a professional if you are unsure.
1. Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish and Body Shop Vitamin C cleanser – both these cleansers are great as they are not harsh, the Cleanse and polish in particular is a great treat because of how relaxing, but at the same time how uplifting the scent is. The hot cloth that comes with, makes your cleansing routine super luxurious.
2. Elave – this all rounder has been a skin saver for me, it is so gentle that it can even be used as a cleanser and just wiped off without water. I use it a moisturiser for day and night and I have seen a big improvement in dry areas. It also relieves itching on contact.
3. Burts Bees lip balm – another ailment I never had was dry lips but now I do and pretty much all the time. This lip balm instantly hydrates, soothes and has a gorgeous minty scent!
4. Bio Oil (started in second trimester) – there are many oils on the market targeted to stretch marks and scarring and I’ve been using bio oil after my evening shower, I love the scent and the quick absorbing texture which leaves my skin super soft.
5. Mascara – always a staple, especially when a full face of makeup seems so tedious! You really can’t go wrong with primping up your lashes.
6. Lash and brow tinting – having these treatments at a salon is great because it takes 15 minutes max and you come out with fabulous lashes and brows after no effort! Especially for us fair girls, it saves filling in the brows and even going without mascara if you want but still looking a little groomed.
7. Dry shampoo – no brainer! Best invention ever. A good tip for this wonder product is to apply some the second day after you wash your hair (before it starts to build up oil) this way, you get much longer out of your washed hair AND extra volume.
That’s about it guys!
I’m now in my 3rd trimester (yay!) so my skin has gotten better and I’m not as sensitive to certain products (i’m even getting waxed more) but the above have definitely been easy and effective options for me to date.
Wishing you all happy, healthy pregnancies xx