The easiest way to make sure you have something nutritious for lunch at work is to make an extra portion of whatever you’re having for supper. However, this does not always work out for a number of reasons and you need to prepare something extra whilst juggling all your evening duties. This great barley and feta salad is made mostly with pantry ingredients so it’s easy to put together when you’re in a hurry. It’s perfect as a vegetarian meal in itself or works just as well as a side dish.
- 200g pearl barley
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 100g feta cheese, chopped into cubes
- 100g black olives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 large handful parsley, chopped
- 2 lemons, juice only
- Salt and pepper
- Handful pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Boil the barley in salted water until tender, approx. 20 mins.
- Drain and run under cold water.
- Place in a mixing bowl and add the cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, olives and garlic and mix well.
- Add the chilli, coriander and parsley and mix well.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with pumpkin seeds.