Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation. In this salad they redeem themselves, coupled with cannellini beans for plant-based protein.
For this Brussels sprouts and bean salad you need:
• 400g Brussels sprouts
• 1 tin (400g) cannellini beans
• 1 red onion
• 3 cloves garlic
• ½ lemon, juice only
• Salt and pepper
1. Prepare the Brussels sprouts by removing the outer leaves and cutting off the end.
2. Peel and slice the onion and fry gently until translucent, taking care not to let them burn.
3. Add the garlic and cook for a few more mins until fragrant.
4. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for approx. 5 mins until soft but not brown.
5. Add the cannellini beans and gently stir through, being careful not to break the beans.
6. Cook for another five mins.
7. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.