The first sign of autumn is the bright orange pumpkin that adorns both vegetable trucks and supermarket benches. Cheap, nutritious and delicious, this spiced pumpkin and carrot soup makes a great addition to any autumn recipe. Make a large pot of this quick and easy soup and serve as a mid-week meal and make your colleagues jealous with the leftovers at work the next day.
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 thumb-sized piece ginger (more if you like it spicy)
• ½ tsp chilli
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• Salt and pepper
• 500g pumpkin, roughly chopped
• 300g carrots, roughly chopped
• 200g potatoes, peeled and chopped
• A litre vegetable stock
• 1 tin coconut milk
• Handful of pumpkin seeds, to garnish
• Fresh coriander, to garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and gently sauté the onion until soft.
2. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a few mins until fragrant.
3. Add the chopped vegetables and mix well.
4. Add the chilli, cinnamon and season with salt and pepper.
5. Fry until the vegetables are starting to soften.
6. Add the vegetable stock and the coconut milk, reserving a little of the coconut cream to garnish, bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender.
7. Blend the soup with a stick blender until smooth.
8. Garnish the spiced pumpkin and carrot soup with the reserved coconut cream, a handful of pumpkin seeds, coriander leaves and fresh pepper and serve hot.
Click here to find more similar healthy, fun recipes